*This post may contain affiliate links, please see my disclosure
Like any good personal finance blogger, I follow Dave Ramsey on my personal Facebook account. You know, same thing that normal people do. Usually I just browse the titles of most of this stuff, and don’t really have time to read it. Today something caught my eye, most likely because it had the words “Christmas” and “Budget” in it.
I decided to click on the link and check out what new shenanigans DR was up to this time. Lucky for me, it was something pretty awesome, and if I had a team of expensive developers behind me as well, I totally would have created this tool a LONG time ago!
Christmas: Time To Blow A Chunk Of Cash
Christmas is the time of year when we forget why we work so hard all year and decide to open the flood gates from our bank account and let our cash pour out. Logic is superseded by blind materialism and we turn into mindless drones listening to the almighty voice of the advertising machine.
Or, at least, that’s what has happened to me in the past. Luckily, since I’ve been on a wicked-awesome budget, advertising is now akin to someone scratching a chalkboard with a pair of forks. And one perk of being on a budget is things like Christmas don’t “sneak up” on us a surprise our wallet at the end of the year.
We use our handy-dandy savings buckets to save for Christmas and shop throughout the year to get the best deals and kick stress to the curb (take that, cortisol!). We love to give gifts, and have a large list of people to keep track of, along with a very small budget. We have been keeping track of our Christmas shopping through my excel spreadsheet for savings buckets, but, honestly, it’s kind of a pain. I wish there was an easier tool to use to know how much we’ve spent on each person, and how much is left in the budget…..
Enter: Dave Ramsey Christmas Budget Application
Dave Ramsey and is team of awesomeness put together a sweet little Christmas Budget application over at www.mychristmasbudget.com. It’s simple, yet powerful and does EXACTLY what I’ve been looking to do with my Christmas list spreadsheet. I’ll be using it on my mobile phone, so the budget follows me wherever I go. Here’s how it works:
1. First, go to www.mychristmasbudget.com to get started.Hit “Start Budgeting”
2. Then put in your Christmas budget amount and email to keep your budget saved (don’t forget to uncheck the box below if you don’t want the “Christmas Updates”)
3. Put in all the names of the people you will be buying gifts for.
4. Then put in the amount that you’ll be spending on them. Make sure you don’t go over your total budget.
5. Now, when you’re out and purchase a gift, you can put in the item and how much you spent. The app will do all the calculating or you, and show you how much you have left in the budget.
6. Once you have purchased all gifts for a person, just check the box next to their name, and they get popped down to the “Completed” section.
And that’s it! See, it’s simple, intuitive, and will keep you on track when you’re out shopping for gifts.
Comments: What do you all think? Is this something you’ll use this Christmas? I’ve already signed up, and will definitely be using it to finish off our list this year.
Disclaimer: I get no money to review or recommend this product, I just thought it was cool. Now, the image at the beginning of the post is an affiliate link, and I only used it mostly because I couldn’t’ find a better image. But as stated in my last post, I do recommend the book, so if you use that link and purchase it, I do receive a very small commission, and as always, thanks a ton for your support 🙂